Thursday, December 23, 2010

End of Year Survey ~ Books I loved in 2010

I love procrastinating spending time filling out surveys all about books. This one is a snazzy one courtesy of The Perpetual Page Turner. Let me know if you do one too ~ I love seeing everyone's responses.


The best thing about this post is... it's saving me from trying to create some kind of top ten list (which I fail so spectacularly at). Every single book in this post I love and merrily recommend.* I am only choosing from my 2010 YA list ~ also trying to only choose each book once.



They look so good on here ~ reminds me of what a fabulous fictional year I've lived


*minus question three, which bombed out for me. But others recommend it, so, *shrugs*


1. Best book of 2010? 
Depends on the day/time/mood, but right now I'm picking Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley. It has it all ~ gorgeous writing, it's funny, a brilliant set-up, male/female POV. And, for me, it has art (I am such a fan of the arty stuff). Such a fun and addictive read. 


AND The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta AND Raw blue by Kirsty Eagar AND Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams. All three blew me away for different reasons. (okay ~ going to  stop now...)

2. Worst book of 2010? meh, a few I returned to the library. I really try to make sure books I pick out are my thing so I don't read books that don't appeal to me.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010? There's a few *rubs hands together* jokes. not going to shame anyone... Well, personally, I was pretty pumped for Forget You by Jennifer Echols. Which, you know, received so many RAVE reviews (plus I had a blast reading Going Too Far). If I had randomly picked it up I probably wouldn't have been so shattered, but I was really disappointed, hey. Not sure if I'll be seeking out any more of her books ~ obviously they just don't work for me (don't hate!)


4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Oh ~ The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D Randle. Just, wow. I had no idea what to expect and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. It got 5 gob-smacked stars from me.


5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? I always recommend Jaclyn Moriarty, although her books have been out for a while. (new US covers below)


6. Best series you discovered in 2010? Being a contemp girl, most books I read are stand-alones. But I found a few rocking gems this year:

Okay, so Sonya Sones is more the series of the "carry-over characters" variety in stand-alone novels. But I'm whacking her with the series people because I love her so.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? *whips out a santa-length list* An impressive bunch of debut authors have leapt onto my list: Fiona Wood, Kirsty Eagar, Gabrielle Williams, Tim Pegler, Stephanie Perkins and the awesome Courtney Summers and C.K. Kelly Martin.

8. Most hilarious read of 2010? Not sure, mate. *slightly adjusts the question* Books I had oh-so-much fun reading: ~



9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?  Stolen by Lucy Christopher had me flipping through those pages. Also, found This is Shyness by Leanne Hall to be utterly addictive.  And Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers



10. Book you most anticipated in 2010? The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta ~ which came out in March. After that, I was hanging out for Mockingjay.





11. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2010? I already did a cover post guys. Here's three more I dig.





12. Most memorable character in 2010? Carly from Raw Blue, Tom Mackee from The Piper's Son. Both feel absolutely real.  

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
 I loved the funky writing style in Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams. Laurie Halse Anderson's Wintergirls was breathtaking. The Sky is Everywhere was sublime.





14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? 




I actually cried in Five Parts Dead. Only book I cried in this year. 
Raw Blue just hit me hard ~ it felt so honest and real.


15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read? *hangs head in shame* The Messenger by Markus Zusak. Even my librarian had a dig at me when I confessed to her I hadn't read it.







BONUS (I'm just winging it here because I obviously want to keep raving on about books)


16. New swoon-worthy literary crushes (it has to be done, you know you love talking about guys that roam in the pages):

  1. I have a thing for Chris in Good Oil. There, I've said it. He's, sigh. I just really like the guy, you know. Despite him being a bit of a douche at times. He absolutely makes up for it.
  2. Also, I love Greg in Stealing Heaven. He's just pitch perfect for Dani.
  3. And Etienne St Clair. He made the book that much more, erm, delicious to read.
17. A book that you might not have read but I think you'd love:

a title from 2008 that sits on my favourite reads of 2010 list. I reviewed this (see my review page) and I'm planning on a re-read...
 
18. Books I wish I could go back in time and give my teen self:


19. A couple of adult fiction reads I loved:




17 comments:

  1. hehe for my survey i totally forgot i was anticipating Mockingjay :p *doh*
    i need to get my hands on Raw Blue and Graffiti Moon :p and i love funky writing styles too so Beatle Meets Destiny looks awesome :)

    great post, loved reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took this survey too . I love any kind of survey about books :)
    I still haven't read I am the Messenger - I am surprised at myself. I enjoyed The Book Thief so much.
    I am glad you included Maggie O' Farrell - she's such a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love checking out these surveys! I end up adding so much books on my wishlist. I agree with you on Audrey, Wait (and so many other books). That was actually one of my faves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what I like most about your list is that the books you've chosen are so different than similar posts like this. After reading many of your reviews on these books, I know that I am waiting to read some of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beatle Meets Destiny is looking like a must, then. Fun to read and beautifully written? Awesome.

    Re: Jenifer Echols, Carla at The Crooked Shelf actually gifted me The Boys Next Door and Endless Summer this year, and I *really* enjoyed then. Particularly The Boys Next Door, which just had something perfect about it. I think it's worth a second try.

    I haven't read The Messenger either. I know everyone loves it, I just don't feel convinced that it's the kind of everyones-loves-it book that I will love too. However, I have been wrong before. :D

    Also, I just emailed off an author interview last week, and one of the questions I asked her was which three books she'd give to her teen self if she travelled back in time. I *love* that question. I'll have to read the ones you chose now so I get *why*!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah, I LOVE this survey. I might just take this as well. I read some pretty brilliant books this year. This is just awesome. Except for the fact that I keep missing out on the Aussie books out here.

    Jaclyn Moriarty, FTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *WONDERFUL* list!!!
    I am going out and buying so many of those recommended books with the Angus & Robertson gift vouchers I know I'll be getting from the Fat Man!!

    P.S. - totally agree about 'Forget You'. What a fizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh loved your post so much, although I'm sure my budget and bookshelves won't thank you LOL

    Raw Blue and Grafitti Moon have gone on to my wishlist thanks to visiting your blog :) and I totally agree with your thoughts on The Sky Is Everywhere & Stolen, they made my 2010 favourite read list!
    Might have to give this cool survey a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely post. i loved lots of those books this year, but i can't believe you hadn't read the messanger. it was a great book thou, no matter when your read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your answers especially since it is full of Aussie YA. There is still a couple I need to read like Stealing Heaven, 5 Parts Dead, Handcuff, This Gorgeous Game. I'm better go order some right now. Poor credit card :(

    I am going to have a go at this survey. I too love procrastinating, oops, I mean spending time filling out surveys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really have to get on this Kirsty Eagar bandwagon me thinks.

    i agree: i love that there is so much aussie stuff! you do our blogging nation proud :).

    have a great christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing list of books. I agree, Audrey, Wait! was a laugh out loud funny book. I know that I will be adding some of these books to my wish list (The Piper's Son and Raw Blue) and The Sky Is Everywhere is already on my TBR list. I've been holding out on reading it. Not too sure why. I'll get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, I just read your list, saw your recommendation of Handcuffs, read the review and bought it. So, so impulsive. That's me. Thanks for the recommendation, I had not yet of heard of this book and I think I will really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I first read about Graffiti Moon on your blog, and definitely have been wanting to read it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did the survey too, :) It was fun.

    I'm really excited about reading Good Oil (I'm saving it for my Aussie Challenge of 2011), *G* but I'm glad the guy is crush worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a great survey. I've been trying to come up with a Top Ten list but it is so hard, so I think I'll do this next week!

    There are some books I absolutely loved on here and some I need to try and some I've never heard of but will seek out now - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for the comment on an older entry, but I've been away and am just catching up on your blog :)

    What did you think of The Messenger? (I apologise if you've written about it before!) I loved it but the people I know that have read it loved The Book Thief a billion times more. If I had to choose, I'd choose The Messenger as my favourite Zusak book.

    Desert Flower is absolutely incredible, as is Desert Dawn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the commenty love :)