Thursday, August 10, 2017

Because of You by Pip Harry ~ Review


‘Books can save anyone. If they’re the right ones.’ 

Meet Tiny and Nola. Two very different girls with two very different stories who are just trying to find a place to belong. A powerful and compelling novel about friendship, love and acceptance.

Everyone has a story.

Tiny is an eighteen-year-old girl living on the streets in Sydney, running from her small-town past. At a temporary homeless shelter, she meets Nola, a high school student on volunteer placement. Both girls share their love of words through the Hope Lane writing group. Can they share their secrets, too?

Told through the eyes of both Tiny and Nola as they negotiate their way through homelessness, shifting friendships, betrayals, addiction and a little bit of romance, Because of You explores the vastly different coming-of-age stories of two girls who are learning to find their individual strengths

Wow ~ Pip Harry's latest novel Because of You felt real and, by the end, it took my breath away. I read because I love being transported into another time and place, into another persons shoes, and I love being pulled into and swept up into a story. But occasionally, a book will come along that ends up being more than just a good entertaining read, and it leaves me feeling moved. Because of You is one of those books that resonates long after the last page and has transformative power to challenge a readers viewpoint and empathy.

Things to love about Because of You:


  • the budding friendship between Tiny and Nola was so refreshing, tentatively organic and precious. I love how they both made mistakes and needed forgiveness (from others and themselves) and how, despite their different circumstances, they had more in common than they would've first thought. 
  • awesome parents (who are brilliant characters in conjunction with complicated relationships and issues).
  • writing group ~ writing and books and reading and creativity and finding your voice ~ all this is celebrated and adds a fun dynamic with bursts of humour and unexpected treasure
  • some gorgeous, really affecting and powerful snippets of writing from the writing group. I loved the poetry and humour and was absolutely floored by the honest and captivating writing the characters shared. Harry, through the voices of her characters, was able to capture emotion beautifully in so few words <3
  • hidden backstories and surprises, with tender and heartbreaking reveals. Nothing is as black and white as things may first seem.
  • a real mix of unique characters, both teen and adult, to care for ~ all with their own voice and story
  • a really inspirational and smiley climax and resolution ~ which just had me beaming from the inside out

Harry has nailed the art of letting her characters breathe life into the themes so that the message of the novel is fresh and authentic, never wandering into didactic or saccharine territory. Because of You is an absolute gem of a novel ~ hopeful and true, timely and challenging, with a genuine powerhouse message of empathy and resilience. I fell in love with the characters, and will be wholeheartedly recommending it to the teens and adults in my life. 

My reviews for Pip Harry's previous novels:

Because of you @ UQP (incl. Teacher's Notes)

Many thanks to UQP  for my review copy :)


6 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad you loved this! It's one of the books I am most looking forward to reading this year and I cannot wait to dive in. Lovely review Nomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it Michelle (I know how much you love Pip's books!)! Hope you get a chance to read it soon x

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I so want to read this!! Added to my Goodreads want to read list. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! And a perfect fit for you with the homeless theme/element :) Hope you get a chance to read it soon :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! Nomes. :) <3 I'm so flipping excited to read this book! I bought my copy of it for #loveyourbookshopday (I think you saw already). I have a couple of review books to read first but I think I'll be reading Because of You before the end of next month, I'm just... the idea of reading this book gets me so excited. It has everything I could possibly want in a book! It's like a love letter to literature. I'm sure this one will also move and inspire and I won't even know what to do with myself afterwards. Now that I've hyped myself up I so so hope I'm not disappointed. *fingers crossed*

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine you will be disappointed! I really loved the whole theme and idea of the book, too. By the end it really was an exultant read! Hope you enjoy reading those review copies as well, haha!

      Delete

Thanks for the commenty love :)